DHCP & NFS Questions

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Wed Sep 19 16:25:29 MST 2007

After a long battle with technology, Brandon Duncan wrote:
> I've been told that DHCP can be tricky to setup and get configured. What
> are some problems I can run into? Are there problems I can run into? What
> causes these problems? How would I fix them?

It's reasonably easy if you're doing simple stuff.  Here's a sample dhcpd.conf
file:

# start conf
option domain-name "somewhere.example.org";
option domain-name-servers 1.2.3.4;

option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option routers 192.168.1.1;
default-lease-time 6000;
max-lease-time 7200;
ddns-update-style ad-hoc;

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  range 192.168.1.10 192.168.1.250;
  option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;
  option routers 192.168.1.1;
}

host fuzzball {
  hardware ethernet 00:11:22:33:44:55;
  fixed-address 192.168.1.3;
}
#end conf

...so this says that the main DNS is 1.2.3.4, the gateway is 192.168.1.1, and
the range from 192.168.1.10..240 will be available for any clients that send
ordinary DHCP requests.  The host with MAC addr 00:11:22:33:44:55 is special;
it will always be assigned 192.168.1.3.  You can have multiple subnets and
many fixed hosts if you want.  A lot of times, people forget ;s at the end of
lines, or they forget the ddns-update-style ad-hoc; line.  dhcpd logs
messages like all good daemons do, so figure out where your setup puts them.
They can go in various places depending on how your logger is set up.

> With NFS what are some uses beyond a typical shared folder that users keep
> files on?

If you have machines that can boot via PXE or something like that, you can
have Unixish machines that have / on NFS.  This might be useful if you want
to have a diskless workstation.  NFS is also useful for causing strange and
unexplained behavior when an NFS server barfs and machines that have NFS
exports from that server start failing randomly.  HTH,

--
   I will rule you all with my iron fist.  YOU!  Obey the fist!
   --Invader Zim