New "EEE" super-portable laptop $199

Jorge Delacruz alterthegrid at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 06:30:23 MST 2007

The cheap consumer stuff at Fry's now comes with a
lifetime warranty.

Also, I use the cheap limited warranty compactflash in
my firewalls and they are still in service, almost 2
years later.  I think we can assume the flash is
written to several million times in a year, so the
quality of the flash seems to be much better than it
was.

Funny thing - I built a firewall using a hard drive a
year ago, and it already has filesystem errors.  No CF
box I built has failed yet.

JD

Alan Dayley wrote:
> keith smith wrote:
>
>>I wonder how the flash-based data storage will last.
 It is my
>>understanding flash-based data storage has a finite
life span and wonder
>>what that really means.
>>
>>Is it good for a year, two years, five years?  Can I
add a hard drive?

>>It is an exceptional value and at $199 it is almost
worth getting just

http://lists.plug.phoenix.az.us/lurker/message/20060504.231037.e6c110af.en.html

> Much of what I said then still holds true.  However,
flash memory and
> flash controller technologies continue to improve
and progress at a
> rapid rate.  I think even a consumer grade flash
device should last more
> than a year these days, unless it is the cheap,
no-name stuff.

> I would hope that Asus is using higher grade stuff
in this little
> computer since it is the sole boot and data storage
media.  There are
> also tweaks that can be made to the kernel and
system logging and other
> things to drastically minimize the number and
frequency of small writes
> to the media.  They could also be using a file
system that is tailored
> to flash media.  Combining all of these factors, the
flash media could
> last many years.
>
> I'd like to see a tear-down article with pictures
for one of these
> little computers.  That would be fun.
>
> Alan

> To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your mail
settings: