New "EEE" super-portable laptop $199

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 18 11:03:34 MST 2007

I wonder how the flash-based data storage will last.  It is my understanding  flash-based data storage has a finite life span and wonder what that really means.

Is it good for a year, two years, five years?  Can I add a hard drive?

It is an exceptional value and at $199 it is almost worth getting just to mess with.

Josef Lowder <joe at actionline.com> wrote: .
Has everyone seen the new "EEE" super-portable laptop recently
announced by ASUS?  It is a mobile Internet portable computer
that is Easy to Learn, Easy to Work, and Easy to Play (thus EEE).

At only $199, this should shake up the computer world as it will be
exclusively LINUX with built in wireless and pre-installed Firefox and the
complete Open Office suite and all Linux applications to do everything.

Of course this great price is only possible because there is no
$100 per unit Microsoft "tax" and no $300+ cost for M$ "office."

EEE includes two modes of intuitive user interface -- an "easy" mode
and a full KDE desktop to accommodate both inexperienced and advanced
users. Now, finally, a truly portable feather-light computer that is
only 9" x 6.5" by 3/4" thick yet with 3 hour battery life. Shock-proof,
flash-based data storage means totally silent operation.

It includes: 10/100 Mbps Ethernet; 56K modem, WLAN: WiFi 802.11b/g,
Intel UMA 512MB, DDR2-400, 4/8/16GB data storage, 300K pixel video
camera, Hi-Definition Audio CODEC, built-in stereo speakers & microphone.

Photos at these three links:

     http://www.upquick.com/eee1.jpg
     http://www.upquick.com/eee2.jpg
     http://www.upquick.com/eee3.jpg

Notice the EEE's size compared to the mac i-book that it sits on
in that last image.

Keith Smith
(480) 584-4772
PHP Programming