OT: SCO Group Files Chapter 11

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 14 20:11:10 MST 2007

I seem to recall the founder of Caldera was a higher up or co-founder of Novell.  He took Dr DOS with him.

He was successful in suing M$ for killing DOS with their claims of an integrated DOS/Win95 which he proved false by pealing Win95 off DOS and placing win95 onto DR DOS.  The old DOS/Win31config.

I seem to recall he got $200MILL.  Of course M$ went on to make something like 40Bill.

Maybe that is how this crazy stuff started!

David Munson <david.munson at gmail.com> wrote: The following should not be used in a court of law, but it is fact as
far as I am able to determine.

If by SCO you mean The SCO Group (Darl & Co), then yes. Here's why:

Santa Cruz Operations (Old SCO) sold pretty much everything to Caldera
in 2001, and Old SCO became Tarantella, Inc, since that was all they
did now. Bye-bye Old SCO.

Caldera changed their name to The SCO Group as a result of this
purchase. Anything owned by Caldera therefore is now property of The
SCO Group (New SCO, same company, new name).

There were multiple developers of S5 platforms/products, Old SCO was
one of them. Old SCO probably developed it, so in all likelyhood it
went to Caldera, and thus New SCO.

On 9/14/07, Jeremy C. Reed  wrote:
> Does anyone know if SCO would own software copyrighted by Caldera from
> 2001-2002?
>
> Copyright(C) Caldera International Inc. 2001-2002. All rights reserved.
>
> I am working on PCC which was shipped with System V Release 2 (I think) in
> early 1980's and was started in 1970's. It now has those 2001-2002 Caldera
> copyrights.
>
> See the grant of the fee free license at
> http://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/various/Caldera-license.txt
>
> Did Caldera really own that software? Does SCO own it now?
>
> I am trying to figure out the timeline and ownership of all this since I
> am also looking at a nroff based on that code.

Keith Smith
(480) 584-4772
PHP Programming