OT: SCO Group Files Chapter 11

David Munson david.munson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 18:51:02 MST 2007

A Google search for SCO Unix purchase turns up a load of stuff, most
of it irrelevant as far as I can tell, but there is this:
http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/What_did_SCO_buy.html

and this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCO_OpenServer

The first is a long article, the second is a wiki entry that has some
discussion of the SCO/Novell Unix deal.

What I've found:
Apparently SCO bought the rights to make use of Unix from Novell, so
while SCO owns derivatives (that they produce) of Unix, Novell owns
the original patents and whatnot. SCO thought they had the patents,
which is why all the anti-Linux lawsuits. Novell has said that they
don't believe there's Unix in Linux, so they apparently won't be suing
Linux users.