Help for a newbie

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 15:37:11 MST 2007

On 9/13/07, Cary Mabe <cary_mabe at msn.com> wrote:

>     Hi, pluggers!   I'm very very new at this, and I'm having a ball
> getting my feet wet with linux.  I've already solved quite a few of my own
> questions with a little research, but I'm not sure this is gonna be an every
> day kinda question.  Here goes. . . .  I've been having no luck at all
> burning an audio cd  (any kind of CD, really)  with the linux system.  I
> don't think that it is any problem with any of the cd writing tools I'm
> using (I've tried several)

Like what?  Are you using command line tools or GUI based?  Which ones and
what result are you getting?  Errors, CDs that don't work? program exits for
no apparent reason?

I think the problem lies with the fact that my drives  cd, hd, etc. are all
> showing up as scsi drives when they are all on ide.

As several others have said, this is not unusual and is probably not the
issue.  Others have given you information about how to look at what your
system thinks they are but the question you asked is really about how to
successfully write a CD.  My suspicion is that you are not using K3b (the
default gui tool in KDE), or the gnome equivalent because there you don't
really care where/how it is attached.  My suggestion would be to make life
easy on yourself and use one of them.  Personally, I use K3b even in gnome
as it seems the better front end.  Speaking of that, in K3b when you finish
a CD Write (successful or not) there is a button you can click to see the
debugging output where you might actually see a reason for the failure.

I'm new but I don't think that's normal!!  if it's not, just as an exercise,
> I'd really like to try to fix that without reinstalling.  Thanks to anybody
> who responds in advance!
>

> Cary

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being
either proven right or pleasantly surprised.
  - George F. Will