Help for a newbie

JD Austin jd at twingeckos.com
Thu Sep 13 14:29:21 MST 2007

Cary Mabe wrote:
>     Hi, pluggers!   I'm very very new at this, and I'm having a ball
> getting my feet wet with linux.  I've already solved quite a few of my
> own questions with a little research, but I'm not sure this is gonna
> be an every day kinda question.  Here goes. . . .  I've been having no
> luck at all burning an audio cd  (any kind of CD, really)  with the
> linux system.  I don't think that it is any problem with any of the cd
> writing tools I'm using (I've tried several)  I think the problem lies
> with the fact that my drives  cd, hd, etc. are all showing up as scsi
> drives when they are all on ide.  I'm new but I don't think that's
> normal!!  if it's not, just as an exercise, I'd really like to try to
> fix that without reinstalling.  Thanks to anybody who responds in advance!
>

> Cary

Hi Cary,
Way back when the original cdrecord program was written for scsi only
drives.  People with IDE drives wanted to be able to use it so they
found a way to get it to work.  It has been quite a while since i've
burned a CD/DVD in linux.  Which graphical front end are you using to
make the experience easier?

There are a bunch of them for Gnome/KDE:
http://www.linuxlinks.com/Software/CD_Writing/GNOME/
http://www.linuxlinks.com/Software/CD_Writing/KDE/

--
JD Austin