Any flat panel (LCD) monitor experts out there?

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 00:22:17 MST 2007

You want to use the native resolution of the monitor.  Unlike CRTs, an LCD
really does have one "cell" per pixel and you want your resolution to match
that.  Also, LCDs all run at 60 Hz so you really want to drive it that way.
Yes, the DVI cable might help, but should not be necessary.  I notice you
did not mention what OS she was running so it is hard to advise about any
software means to improve it so you might want to let us know.

BTW, I have always found the relative balance of brightness and contrast to
be non-intuitive.  They do interact significantly IMHO.

On 9/12/07, Mark Jarvis <mark.jarvis at pvmail.maricopa.edu> wrote:

> I just purchased a std 19" flat panel monitor for my wife's system. She's
> less than pleased with its performance.  She says that the picture is not
> sharp and the colors are washed out.  Since this is the opposite of my
> (limited) experience with 15" flat panel monitors at school, I'm wondering
> if I should suspect a defective monitor?
>
> Are there some tricks for adjusting the monitor that might help?
>
> It came with both brightness & contrast maxed out.  So far, I've found
> that knocking both down to approx. 30% helped the washed out, but the blacks
> in her wallpaper picture are still a little grayish.
>
> Both the monitor & the video card are DVI capable.  I assume that
> switching to that would be a good thing. It looks like I'll need to buy a
> different cable to use those connectors.  Comments, anyone???
>
> After hookup, it came up with her std. 1024 x 768 resolution.  I thought
> that moving to the default 1200 x 1024 would improve sharpness, but without
> improving sharpness, all it did was make graphics and icons smaller and
> harder to use. (She needs cataract surgery but keeps putting it off.)
>
> Any comments and help will be appreciated.
>
> -mj-

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being
either proven right or pleasantly surprised.
  - George F. Will