Editing error

Harold Michels hmichels01 at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 9 15:55:37 MST 2007

I am trying to configure a Wiki on my web site hosted on GoDaddy.
It is running on a Linux server.

I have successfully edited the config.php file to enable passwords on
the site for admin, reading, and editing.

I want to add a further line of text to the file to enable individual
user passwords.

I am using gedit for my editor.

The difficulty I have encountered is that when I up load the newly
edited file it kicks back an error message:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected $ in
/home/content/k/o/d/user/html/pmwiki/local/config.php on line 151

The first time I encountered the error it it was saying line 152.
The file is only 150 lines long

I thought it might be that the file did not have a proper end of file
character in place so I put my cursor after the last character and
banged on the delete key several times to clean things up and then put
in a CTRL + z character for EOF.

The last line of th file reads

#                     '$GUIButtonDirUrlFmt/table.gif"$[Table]"');

and as I said is line 150.

I don't know how to get the editor to display any hidden characters.

What might I be missing?

Harold