Number of wireless clients per WRT54GL?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Sat Sep 8 14:53:10 MST 2007

Bill Lindley wrote:
> Alan Dayley wrote:
>>  The clients would be doing "office" stuff like file sharing,
>
> I'd be concerned about file sharing over a wireless network, because of
> the potential of corruption when airplanes fly overhead, and because
> anyone within a few hundred feet will be able to penetrate wireless
> networks even when allegedly 'secured.'  At the least, do you want some
> kid in the parking lot using the office SMTP server to send spam,
> leading to the ISP shutting down the connection?

In this case the wireless is WPA2-PSK with AES encryption.  Then, all
packets are forwarded to a VPN server.  If one connects to the wireless
you cannot go any further than logging into the VPN, which also uses a
pre-shared key.  Some would point out that the double encryption may
lead to weaker encryption, which may be true.

> Physical connections will always offer higher speeds and better security.

Yes, this also is true.  However, the convenience of using a network
anywhere is a productivity booster and saves wiring costs.  Try to
convince the boss that we need to string wires all over the conference
room so people can connect when he sees wireless as a cleaner and
cheaper solution.

Alan