Temporarily dead optical drive

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 22:00:15 MST 2007

On 9/6/07, eric(c) <ericlists at gmail.com> wrote:

> CD burning software will typically software lock a drive to prevent it
> from being accidentally opened via the front panel button.  I've seen
> cases in the past where the lock seems to stay applied even after exit
> of the program, requiring a firmware reflash to unlock it.  Probably
> all that occured here is K3B applying that lock, and not unlocking it
> correctly, which the reboot did.
>
> True, but K3b was not yet up when the drive was disabled (or at least the
GUI was not).  Also, when K3b comes up normally, the drive is NOT locked
until it has something to do with the drive.  Remember that this was a
comonly used practice for me (inserting the blank CD while waiting for K3b
to come up).  Nevertheless, the timing could be touchy and I might have hit
the worst case this afternoon.

Mostly I was just hoping someone could tell from the syslog extract and
their experience was happened.  I am not overly concerned about it unless it
starts happening regularly.

--
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being
either proven right or pleasantly surprised.