AMD/ATI opening specs

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Thu Sep 6 13:06:40 MST 2007

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 12:58:33PM -0700, Matt Graham wrote:
> The newsforge article made it sound like there weren't going to be NDAs
> involved.  The license for the 3D bits is of course still up in the air.  The
> comments about 7000 to 8000 registers gave me pause, but I've never written a
> video driver and so don't know how much more complexity thousands of
> registers might introduce.
>
> > These issues are important to Linux, *BSD, and all other open source
> > operating systems. I hope to see freely available specs out there.
>
> Yep, open specs = win.  We'll probably have to wait until next week to see
> what they actually cough up though.

The newsforge article also said that other things are up in the air,
too. I'd LOVE to see open specs. And yes, we'll just have to wait to see
what actually becomes available. AMD has cooperated in the past, and
maybe they can get enough info out the door in a free manner to make
this useful. Time will tell...

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/