out of file descriptors... mystery

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 10:12:59 MST 2007

On 9/6/07, Randy Melder <randymelder at gmail.com> wrote:

> Group,
>
> I tried up'ing my qty of file descriptors because Apache won't start
> after about 547 virtual hosts.  I thought I up'd my file-max, but it's
> not helping. My analysis shows that I have 200000 available files and
> I have 832 open. However, Apache won't start unless I comment out the
> ErrorLog and AccessLog lines in the virtual host directives. The file
> paths are all correct and there are no syntax errors in the virtual
> hosts. I can add more virtual hosts as long as they do not reference
> log files.
>
> Recon:
>
> [root at localhost ~]# cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
> 200000
>
> [root at localhost ~]# cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr
> 832     0       200000
>
> [root at localhost ~]# lsof | wc -l
> 2315
>
> Am I totally barking up the wrong tree? Help?
>
> ; ) .randy

I vaguely remember from my unix experience a couple of decades ago that
there are limits to the number of file descriptors at a finer granularity
than the system level.  I would guess the same is true for Linux.  The fact
that you can run more by turning off logging suggests you are hitting a fd
limit at a user, application, directory, or some other level.  You might
start looking there.  Wish I could be more help!

--
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being
either proven right or pleasantly surprised.