Good Linux Books for Beginners

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Sep 4 21:23:56 MST 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 19:55 -0700, eric© wrote:
> Actually, I found that having both a Windows computer and a Linux
> computer available made it a LOT easier to transition to Linux.  The
> first several dozen times I tried to make the switch, I did just that
> - resist the urge.  But after spending sometimes days trying to figure
> out how to do in Linux what I could do in Windows in five minutes, I
> got very discouraged with it, and eventually abandoned Linux.
>
> The last time around, I made the transition slow, and I'm still using
> Windows for some stuff (I really don't see the need to force World of
> Warcraft onto a Linux box for instance), but now I could switch to
> Linux 100% tomorrow if need be.
>
> Eric
>
> On 9/3/07, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-09-03 at 15:50 -0700, David Munson wrote:
> > temptation to switch back to Windows/Macintosh because it's what you
> > know. The more you work on Linux, the faster you will grasp it. You will
> > also be surprised how much you learn about Windows or Macintosh by
> > learning Linux.
----
I definitely was there myself, trying to do some things on Linux that
took a lot longer than if I resorted to Windows or a Mac...I bet most of
us who started on other OS's had the same experience.

The Linux experience definitely provided a much more comprehensive
understanding of what was involved though rather than just some lucky
clicks that occasionally was rewarded with a treat.

Troubleshooting - not even close.

Heck, even my windows scripting got better after learning Linux.

Craig