Good Linux Books for Beginners

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Sep 3 20:21:47 MST 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-03 at 19:18 -0700, David Munson wrote:
> So it's "--help", not just "help". That explains a lot about why doing
> that gave such weird results.
>
> I've read a lot about problems where images burned at high speeds
> don't work properly, or not at all.
>
> In the vein of architectures and images, (i386 vs x86_64), I tried
> looking up the differences (if any) between x86 and x86_64... as far
> as I can tell, it supports x64 where available, but goes to x86 if
> not, but not all processors (esp. older procs) will support x86_64. Is
> this correct?
>
> Also, what are the differences between i386 and x86? This processor
> architecture stuff I'm finding via Google is either so simple it
> doesn't really help, or so complex I can't understand it.
>
> I'm still searching, but if anyone else knows, I'd appreciate the help.

----
according to the guide on Fedora 7...

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f7/en_US/sn-which-arch.html

Processor Manufacturer and Model                         Architecture
-------------------------------------------------------- ------------
Intel (except Core 2 Duo, Centrino Core 2 Duo, or Xeon),
AMD (except 64 or x2 dual-core), VIA C4, Apple MacBook Pro      i386

Intel Core 2 Duo, Centrino Core 2 Duo, and Xeon;
AMD Athlon64/x2, Sempron64/x2, Duron64                        x86_64

x86_64 tends to make it more difficult to use 32 bit only binary stuff
like Adobe Reader (the plugin) or Flash Plugin, and the 64 bit version
of Sun Java apparently still doesn't have a workable applet runner and
what I've gone to is to use the 'nspluginviewer' which allows you to use
32 bit plugins on a 64 bit browser.

Craig