compiz/beryl and fast user switching

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Sep 3 00:27:09 MST 2007

Am 31. Aug, 2007 schwätzte Craig White so:

> On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 17:38 -0700, Kurt Granroth wrote:

>> The snazzy eye candy due a phenomenal job at getting people's attention.
>>  I can't count how many times people have stopped short seeing a
>> Compiz/Beryl desktop and were blown away.  These people may not have
>> known about Linux before (or if they did, knew of it as an
>> unapproachable geek thing) but after seeing the glitz, more than a few
>> will go on to check it out for themselves.
> ----
> but when they try it at home, they'll struggle to get it working on
> their system...including the hoops necessary to load the proprietary
> 3D/Accelerated drivers, etc.

You seem to be presuming it won't work.

I think Ubuntu will be the first distro to ship with Compiz if it's in the
next release in 6 weeks. Hopefully they'll kick it back a release if it's
not ready, which reminds me that I need to submit a bug report Tuesday or
Wednesday.

> That's of course not considering the times I have had log off when beryl
> gets flaky (though I am still using beryl with Fedora Core 6).

Sounds like you've shoehorned a bleeding edge interface onto an old setup.

> I understand the logic of sell the sizzle...not the steak. I don't find
> beryl to be anything more than amusing and often in the way of being
> productive but perhaps that's because I am using it on a 1 Gb machine

I agree it's more flash than substance. Minesweeper and tetris are huge.
They're not exactly productivity apps either :).

I'm interested to play with some of the accessibility tools in Compiz.

> I have a network where Macs/Windows/Linux users all login using their
> same user credentials (LDAP), auto-mounting the same $HOME directory
> (whether Windows/Mac/Linux).

Sounds like a cool setup.

> I have been buying Dell Optiplex 320's with 19" LCD, 1 Gb RAM (Microsoft
> taxed), first boot into Fedora 7 kickstart (total install time with all
> configuration loaded from kickstart and a full update after install is
> 1:30 minutes) where new Mac's took almost 3.5 hours to update to current

We need you to come out and do 90 second installs at the InstallFests :).

> By the way...the average user does give a rats ass when he's got to fork
> out $300+ for MS Office, etc. The average user does give a rats ass when
> he can't copy the music he purchased from iTunes Store onto his new
> computer because of DRM. Until we get rid of the Microsoft Tax, the
> average user isn't going to figure out how much the Microsoft OS is
> costing him.

True. I think concentration on the desktop such as what Ubuntu and Fedora
have been doing is helping. Getting Michael Dell to use Ubuntu on his
laptop and then start offering support for Ubuntu is a huge win for us.

Maybe others will help us protect our rights against oppressive DRM.

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/30/1731240
http://www.DefendFairUse.org

http://www.DefendFairUse.org/copyright.html

###
We recognize that copyright law guarantees that you, as a member of the
public, have certain legal rights. You may copy, distribute, prepare
derivative works, reproduce, introduce into an electronic retrieval
system, perform, and transmit portions of this publication provided that
such use constitutes "fair use" under copyright law, or is otherwise
permitted by applicable law.

Permission to use our copyrighted works in a manner that exceeds fair use
or other uses permitted by law may be obtained or licensed from the
Computer & Communications Industry Association, 900 Seventeenth Street NW,
Eleventh Floor, Washington DC, 20006.
###

ciao,

der.hans