I just bought the Dell Inspiron 1420

JT Moree moreejt at pcxperience.com
Sat Sep 1 14:31:55 MST 2007

On Friday 31 August 2007 19:59:39 Phillip Waclawski wrote:
> And, on the Ubuntu note. I have not played with it much, but I do know
> that it uses Sudo instead of su and a root account. How hard is it to
> set up a root account/su, and also install the server support software
> (apache, mysql, python, php etc)?

having gone through this myself:  my advice is to NOT set a root password and
to use
  sudo su

when you need to become root.  All the administrative subsystems in *buntu
systems have been modified to work with sudo.  Trying to back to using root
is counterproductive (does not always work).

JT

believed to be clean.