Firefox Java Plugins

Harold Michels hmichels01 at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 1 11:39:15 MST 2007

I am running Fedora Core 6.

Core 6, coming out of the box runs Firefox version 1.5
I up graded it to version 2.0
This was early days in my use of the system.
I did not know how to upgrade properly, and probably still do not as I have
to let yum do it automagically.
I found out afterward that Fedora does not like and is not supporting
version 2.0.
I don't know exactly where the new version of Firefox went to. RPM put it
somewhere.
I have managed to set up shortcuts to it that work to launch version
2.0.0.3 <http://2.0.0.3>.
When the system launches the program it launches Firefox version1.5.
Into this mix I am trying to get Java plugin to run in Firefox 2.0.0.3
<http://2.0.0.3>.
Per the web site I am supposed to create a symbolic link to the java .so
file
   "libjavaplugin_oji.so"
This is in the download directory which in turn is in my home directory.

It is there because I do not understand how Linux handles the files as to
where they are supposed to be stored. In spite of many hours of research, I
still find my self very ignorant. It almost looks like it does not matter.
If this the case I stand astonished.

At any rate, per instructions from Mozilla I created a symbolic link to the
target file and put it in the .mozilla/plugins folder. After restarting
Firefox, I still do not find java in my plugin window "Tools | Add Ins"

I can see many things I may have done wrong, but I am not sure how to
fix them.

I would like to get Java running so I can participate in Alan's Robocode
demo.

Harold