I just bought the Dell Inspiron 1420

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Sep 1 08:39:05 MST 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 19:59 -0700, Phillip Waclawski wrote:
> I called Dell to see if there was a way to avoid the "Vista Tax" on one
> of the 1520's, but no go. So, using the educational discount, I ordered
> one of the Dell Inspiron 1420's with Ubuntu. I should get it by the end
> of September.
>
> Oh, I'm not sure if I can make any more of the meetings, but does
> someone post them to this list? I would like to come by and drop off
> some of the schwag I got from the LinuxWorld Expo.
>
> And, on the Ubuntu note. I have not played with it much, but I do know
> that it uses Sudo instead of su and a root account. How hard is it to
> set up a root account/su, and also install the server support software
> (apache, mysql, python, php etc)?
>
> I know I can figure it out for myself when I get it, but any advice to
> reduce the learning curve will be appreciated. Though I may still be
> tempted just to put Fedora 7 on it ;)
----
be sure to monitor linux on laptops web pages...

http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html

for Dell specifically, though I don't see an Inspiron 1520 there at this
point, one may show up and perhaps something like the 1501 would be
similar enough...

also, Dell has a few Linux mail lists which are useful...