Weird behavior with rsync and permission creep

Bryan O'Neal BONeal at cornerstonehome.com
Tue Oct 30 16:22:35 MST 2007

When ever I run my rsync script (see bellow) it changes the permissions
on the destination users home directory.  What is going on?

I have three machines I backup to a box offsite.  Each box has an
account on the remote box and is using standard key authentication via
ssh.  Once of my boxes has this peculiar problem in that when it
finishes backing up the permissions on the destination home directory
are not the same as when it started.
The script in question is running from an old Cent OS 4 box to an old
REL 4 box.  I have no issue with my windows boxes backing up to the same
REL4 box, but the Cent OS box keeps resetting its REL4 users home
directory from rwx------ to rwxrwxr-x which, amongst other things, stops
me from being able to run the script.  The issue started several months
ago and I can not find any cause.

#!/bin/bash
service sendmail start
date |cat >> /user/Desktop/Dailyrsync.log
rsync -a -r -v -t -z --stats --progress -e ssh /home/
centos at 192.168.27.15:/home/centos |cat >> /user/Desktop/Dailyrsync.log
rsync -a -r -v -t -z --stats --progress -e ssh /homextra/shares/
centos at 192.168.27.15:/home/centos |cat >> /user/Desktop/Dailyrsync.log
cat /user/Desktop/Dailyrsync.log >> /root/Desktop/rsync.log

mailx -s "Redcent Backup Log" Bryan.Oneal at cornerstonehome.com <
/root/Desktop/Dailyrsync.log
sleep 1m
rm /user/Desktop/Dailyrsync.log