Intel-Core2 Duo T7500 or AMD-Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-64

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Oct 24 20:30:35 MST 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 20:19 -0700, Darrin Chandler wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 08:09:44PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > > And given that many/most Linux users happily buy nvidia anyway, where's
> > > nvidia's incentive to change their policy?
> > ----
> > happy is relative - though I am using nVidia drivers at the moment, I
> > still occasionally get the black screen of death w/ beryl (yeah, lousy
> > mb video) - I have given up beryl for the present.
>
> I'm running the generic xorg 'nv' driver on mine because I don't want an
> open source hostile company's binaries on my system. I don't get all the
> features I should, but I feel a bit less exposed, and my computer
> doesn't freeze up. :)
----
my understanding of the new FISA legislation (threatened to be held up
by some prominent Democrats...bless them) is that it not only offers
immunity to the telco's that forked over telephone records, etc. to the
government without warrants but also will provide immunity for among
other things, companies that insert keystroke capturing and other back
doors for the NSA or other governmental agencies in their software.

not that they couldn't sneak some stuff into open source stuff (or even
open source compilers), it's just that the binary blobs...as Forest
says...it's like a box of chocolates.

Craig