gstreamer is the culprit?

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Wed Oct 24 08:15:12 MST 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 00:27 -0700, Craig Brooksby wrote:
> Ubuntu Feisty worked great -- could rip to FLAC (Sound Juicer) and
> play CDs -- I was happy.
>
> Somewhere, something changed and while I could play previously-ripped
> music, when I played a CD, or ripped from a CD, I got chattering,
> squeaking, clicking noise.  I was reduced to ripping on CDex on XP,
> and moving the FLAC files over.  Ugh.

I guess the first thing I'd do is learn more about the files that sound
juicer is creating.

$ file myfile.ogg

That'll give you some information on what is actually in the file.

Also, with gstreamer there is a lot of plugins, you might not have the
right ones.  On gutsy, if you run totem it's pretty smart about looking
for what you have and downloading it.  You might try to play the files
with totem to see if that works (Totem uses gstreamer also).

		--Ted