Server script without built-in sockets

Technomage-hawke technomage.hawke at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 17:54:34 MST 2007

On Tuesday 23 October 2007 17:09, Craig White wrote:

> Thanks for the credit, it's not often I get to do the heavy lifting.
>
> ;-)
>
> To quote PeeWee... I meant to say that.
>
> I'm gonna save the e-mail in the hope that someday I may actually
> understand what you are doing and possibly, though doubtful, I may
> actually have use for this info.
>
> Craig

I already understand it. :)

an application of this would be in the script that says basically this:
if input = 1
	then echo "go away"
else return
(hokey I know, written like old basic, but it gets the meaning across)

so, if there is no input on a network socket (say your internet) then it sits
there until someone tried to connect to a port (like telnet) at which point
it echoes a response "go away". Otherwise, it sits there.

its a very simple way t tell someone that shouldn't be there to bugger off :)

anyway, thats one application I like for it.

another would be like the doorbell that allows port entry.