Wi-Fi configuration madness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Storke storkus at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 21 04:57:04 MST 2007

NO, REALLY, I'M JUST ABOUT TO START PULLING MY HAIR OUT!!!!!

Anyway, I just moved to Phoenix and can get internet access where I
live via wireless only.  But I've never set up a wireless NIC and am
having a nightmare with it, so I want to turn to all of you for help.

Here are my relevant specs:

Distro: Slackware 12
Kernel: 2.6.23.1 (latest)
NIC: Hawkins HWU8UB (the one with the dish) based on the ZyDIS 1211B
     chip; it uses USB to connect.
WLAN: Set up by "Air2Data" (web site www.air2data.com)

I had bought from Fry's the Airlink 101 AWLL3028 USB dongle, but the
chipset in it (Realtek RTL8187B, which reports itself as 8189) isn't
supported yet, apparently.  So I returned it and bought this NIC, which
has a chipset known to play well with Linux.

So now it would seem I would have a working setup, as "iwlist scan"
reports the networks just fine.  But, for some reason, I can't
connect to anything.  Many iwconfig commands fail, and dhcpd times out.
I've been searching the setup scripts, man pages, HOWTOs, but nothing.
Clearly I'm missing something obvious because I don't see everyone else
having this problem.

Can any of you help?  Especially if you run Slack yourself?

Mike