torrent question

David Bendit DarkElf109 at ibendit.com
Thu Oct 18 13:02:11 MST 2007

On Oct 18, 2007, at 11:38 AM, Dazed_75 wrote:

> On 10/18/07, Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I constantly see advice that for using a torrent I should set my
>> router to port forward a number of ports to the using computer.
>> Problem is that there may be more than one computer on the LAN using
>> torrents now that they are so prevalent.  For example, I have an old
>> and a new gaming machine with different games that use torrents for
>> patch days.  I download a lot of Linux distros (normally on a Linux
>> box) to try and torrents are great for that.  I don't typically
>> download any music but if I did it would be on my media machine.
>>
>> So the question is how does one deal with that sine the router can
>> only forward those ports to a single machine.  One thought might
>> be to
>> forward one or two of those ports to each using machine.  How do
>> people deal with this issue?
>>
> I found http://youscrewedup.com/torrent_router_tutorial/ which seems
> to answer the question in a couple of ways.
>
> 1) The name of the site is kinda wierd so I wonder if any of you can
> verify the information seems legitiimate.
>
> 2)  According to the NAT section, it seems like it will work if you
> "just" unblock ports 6881-6889 on the router.  I am wondering just how
> unsafe that might be.  Input?
>
> 3) Further down in the article under "port forwarding, virtual server"
> it seems to talk about another method but I am a bit unclear on it.
> It seems to me that would somehow require the torrent clients on
> additional machines would have to somehow tell torrent servers to use
> a different port range than usual and I have not a clue how one would
> do that.  Am I (once again) misreading something?
>
> --
> The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being
> either proven right or pleasantly surprised.
>   - George F. Will

The easiest way to deal with this situation is with UPnP, but it's
insecure and shouldn't be done unless you want to run the risk.
However, I've been running it for a while, and haven't had any
problems. Anyway, it allows compatible torrent programs (Azureus and
others) , along with other programs that support it, to dynamically
forward ports to the computer that it's running on. As for different
ports, it doesn't matter what port you run bittorrent on, so long as
it's forwarded.

-David Bendit