Way OT: Calculating watts from voltage + amps on motor nameplate

Bryan O'Neal BONeal at cornerstonehome.com
Mon Oct 15 17:36:39 MST 2007

Really, why could you not just take the difference between your base
rate (AC not on) and your adjusted rate (AC ON)?  Of course your
readings would be off if your fridge's compressor kicks on, you start
the dishwasher, or the kids start using the microwave, but if you hold
everything else relatively constant then it should work just to take the
difference in power usage and attribute it to the thing that changed;
the AC.

That said, art their little inline meters you can puck up for hose hold
appliances?  Perhaps something that runs on an X10 network?  I am always
curious how much power all the little stuff in my house takes.  The
meter reading method is not accurate enough over a short time for me to
figure out things like the water cooler or the beer fridge :)

-------------<SNIP>----------------------
Breaking in here. To measure just ONE item using the
below method, you MUST turn off or disconnect
EVERYTHING from the meter except whatever you want to
check the power usage on. Even refrig's, a/c on the
roof (kill the circuit breaker) etc. Then take and use
the method below as the only load turning the power
company meter then will be that device. Just don't
forget to plug in the freezer's and refrig's..hate to
waste food!!

The pool stuff should be on its own circuit breaker,
so just switch off all others AFTER shutting down your
computer(s).

Ed Culbertson.