disk partitioning question

David Bendit DarkElf109 at ibendit.com
Mon Oct 15 01:14:58 MST 2007

Dazed_75 wrote:

> Any idea why that last 24 GB is showing as unusable?  I seem to recall
> that a drive can only have 4 primary partitions but am not sure that is
> true.  Even if it is, there are only 3 shown as primary.  Maybe the
> Logical partition counts as one of the 4 but can contain multiple
> "partitions" within it?

You are correct on both accounts. You can only have 4 primary partitions
per drive, and a logical partition is wrapped with a larger, primary
partition. I haven't dealt with this in a while, but I bet that, since
the 5gig partition is separating the unpartitioned space from the
logical partition, it can't be added to the logical wrapper. Your best
bet would be to move the 5gig partition to the end of the drive, and add
the unpartitioned space as a second logical partition. *Should* work,
but as I said, it's been a while since I've dealt with this. Of course,
back up whatever you have on the 5gig partition, as well as all the
others, that you can't live without. I've been burned by partitioning
more times than I can count.

-David Bendit