[OT?] "license_free" [thedjbway.org] (was: Re: [...] run your own email server?)

Mike Schwartz schwartz at acm.org
Sun Oct 14 00:13:53 MST 2007

On 10/11/07, Eric Shubes <plug at shubes.net> wrote:
> I have mixed emotions regarding qmailtoaster. I was heavily involved with it
> a year ago, but have been too busy with other things more recently to stay
> up to date with it.
>
> QMT is a nice appliance-type package/distro. It's very easy to build and get
> a standalone server up and running, and community support is outstanding.
>
> It's also very efficient. I continue to run it on a PII/266 w/ 256M.
>
> On the downside, it's not available on many distros, and even on CentOS (the
> preferred distro to use) it does many things in an unconventional (djb)
> fashion. It really does work reliably though, so you shouldn't need to spend
> much effort learning its quirks, or even learning CentOS in detail.
>
> BL, if you decide to try QMT, I'd recommend only doing it with a standalone
> machine. Since it doesn't require much of a machine, that's not typically a
> big deal.
>
> Mark Phillips wrote:
> > Qmailtoaster looks great. Too bad it is an rpm and not Debian
> > compatible.
> >
> > I didn't find any discussion if alien worked in this particular
> > situation or not. I did find this write-up
> > http://www.shupp.org/toaster/?page=preface#whatisatoaster which covered
> > installing most of the bits of qmail toaster on a Debian box. Not sure
> > how current it is.
> >
> > How different is CentOS from Debian? I have only ever used Debian, so I
> > am a little concerned about adding yet one more unknown to the puzzle.
> >
> > Thanks for the lead!!
> >
> > Mark
> >
> > On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 09:35 -0700, Jorge Delacruz wrote:
> >> Please check out qmailtoaster.  It even comes in an ISO that has the
> >> whole server side well integrated.  It provides MTA, MDA, anti-spam,
> >> anti-virus, imap, pop, webmail, muti-domain support, certificates, and
> >> a web-based point & click interface so you don't have to learn too
> >> much.  I've set up a few of these (not the ISO, but sitting on CentOS
> >> 4), and it works very well - takes hardly any (about an hour per
> >> month, maybe) of my time.
> >>
> >> JD
> >>

> >> Mark Phillips <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz> wrote:
> >>         I am thinking about setting up my own mail server (IMAP) so I
> >>         can sync
> >>         email, contacts, calendars with my blackberry. I have been
> >>         researching
> >>         email servers on Debian, and have a few questions.
> >>
> >>         I need email for 5 users, 2-3 have Blackberries, and there are
> >>         2 domains
> >>         involved. On the desktop, they all use Evolution.
> >>
> >>         1. How difficult is it to maintain am email server?
> >>         [...]
> >>
> >>         2. What combinations of MTA, MDA, MUA's do people use?
> >>         [...]
> >>
> >>         3. How much hardware do I need?
> >>        [...]
> >>
> >>         Thanks!
> >>
> >>         Mark

I was curious about this:

> [...] it does many things in an unconventional (djb)
> fashion.  [...]

so I did some checking (like, at thedjbway.org);
I found some interesting stuff, such as this:
((excerpt from [part of]
      http://www.thedjbway.org/license_free.html
)):

<< "the "License Free" software protocol allows you to:

    * freely download the software
    * once downloaded, you legally own a copy of the work
    * patch, modify, compile, and use your copy however you want
    * run the software without any obligation or implied contract
    * study the source code and learn from it
    * develop patches and distribute them however you want

What more could one want?

Well there's the rub of copyright law, what you can't do without the
copyright holder's permission:

    * you can't redistribute the software
    * especially, you can't redistribute modified versions of the software

" >>
Just F Y I,
--
Mike Schwartz