xdm question

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Fri Oct 12 17:06:57 MST 2007

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Craig White wrote:

> no - just wanting to switch via virtual console <Control><Alt><F1> or
> <F2>

I have been planning to set that up for my kids computer.

Both KDE and GNOME have a feature to switch user. In GNOME, this is
provided by the fast-user-switch-applet (Fast User Switching) and
gdmflexiserver and gdmXnestchooser. KDE has Switch User option on the K
Menu.

It can use Xnest instead of an additional X server.

(I hoped to patch xlock to add option for switching user.)

Here is a way to do it with xdm (and not xnest) in your xdm Xservers file:

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt7 :0
:1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt8 :1

Change the path to X for your system.

Change vt7 to vt05 or whatever is appropriate for your system.

Then start X.

Let me know what more specifically you want to do and I will be glad to
help.

  Jeremy C. Reed

p.s. I need feedback and reviewers for a X.org book I am co-authoring.