OT: How best to record "off-the-air" HD-TV?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Thu Oct 11 15:38:40 MST 2007

.
This might not be OT if there is a way to use a Linux computer
to do what I want to do.

Being fed up with cable/dish gouging and being force-fed 100+
garbage channels that we *do not* want, a few months ago,
we switched to just viewing "off-the-air" TV.  The HD signal
is so fabulous that we don't even watch anything that is not HD.

The one problem, however, is that I have been told there is no
way to record HD (and other digital) channels from "off-the-air"
broadcast; and that the only way record HD-TV is with a Tivo and
being forced to pay a monthly subscription fee?

Is this true, or are there any other HD-recording products
available and some other way to record HD programs "off-the-air"?

Searching the 'net, I found that there used to be a Sony HD-DVR
that could record HD "off-the-air" but it was a very costly
product and is no longer available unless you can find a used
one on ebay.

Are there any other options?