will amarok play .wav files? or how to convert to mp3?

Patrick C patrick.pxc.c at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 09:35:22 MST 2007

Amarok doesn't have it's own player engine. Instead, it can use a variety,
some of which probably already exist on your system. By default, I believe
it uses the xine engine, which can play damn near anything, including basic
audio like WAV files. Check for your xine-plugins packages (rpm search on
pbone.net showed me these)

xine-plugins-1.1.1-7.1.20060plf.x86_64.rpm
xine-plugins-1.1.1-7.1.20060plf.i586.rpm
xine-plugins-1.1.0-9.7.20060mdk.i586.rpm
xine-plugins-1.1.0-9.7.20060mdk.i586.rpm
xine-plugins-1.1.0-8mdk.i586.rpm

Also, if you can view the details of the file (see how it is actually
encoded) that might help figure out what's causing the problem.

If updating your version of the xine engine doesn't seem to do anything, try
switching to the Helix (realplayer, basically) engine in Amarok (or if
you're already using it, change to xine). No need to go reencoding
everything you get when your engine should just be able to handle it as-is.
:-)

On 10/1/07, Josef Lowder <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

> .
> After 20 years of using computers, and never before having
> done anything with music or audio files, I am just beginning
> to explore ... so I have a plethora of questions.
>
> So far, I have copied some files from a little mp3 player that
> our daughter gave us to my 2006 Mandriva box and was glad to
> find 'amarok' (which I've seen several pluggers mention favorably)
> on my system and delighted to discover that it plays the 20-some
> files I downloaded just fine.  Good start.
>
> Some time ago, I had also downloaded but never before tried to
> play one .wma file and one .wav file.  Now I find that amarok
> plays the .wma file fine, but not the .wav file.
>
> So, what is the difference between these various formats
> and how can I convert the .wav file to an .mp3?

Amarok: Rediscover your music.
-- http://amarok.kde.org

Sabayon Linux: Cutting Gentoo's edge.
-- http://www.sabayonlinux.org