How difficult is it to run your own email server?

Mike Garfias mike at garfias.org
Fri Oct 5 12:32:15 MST 2007

I agree with everything Darrin wrote, but would add a few things:

On Debian, its all very easy.  Make sure you have your apt sources
set to download from the security tree, and update it somewhat
frequently.
Use Postfix/Dovecot - not only are they easy to setup, but they have
a good reputation for security (The dovecot guys will even pay you if
you find an exploit in their code).