Fedora Core Help

Harold Michels hmichels01 at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 2 13:29:54 MST 2007

I am not sure why you are trying to install Fedora 5 in your DELL 1520.

Dell is putting their machines out on the street with Ubuntu installed.

The Ubuntu site has directions which are cross posted on Linux Profiles
on how to specifically install Ubuntu 7.04 on this machine. I do not
know how this would apply to Fedora, but I would think that before you
get too discouraged that you get the new version, preferably Ubuntu to
install.

The post specifically mentions that you need to use an alternate CD to
get a load. I also am wondering if your attempt to use wireless to
access updates may be having an impact. If you have your Wireless locked
down, as you should I do not know if the install will be able to cope
with the encryption that is on place.That would seem to be enough to
generate can't update messages. A hard wired connection would test that
quickly

http://www.linux-profiles.com/laptop-computer/laptop/40

I hope that is of some service. I have a Fedora 7 DVD and I suspect that
some of the PLUGgers would have the Ubuntu that could be made available
for you to use.

Harold