will amarok play .wav files? or how to convert to mp3?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Mon Oct 1 18:52:49 MST 2007

.
After 20 years of using computers, and never before having
done anything with music or audio files, I am just beginning
to explore ... so I have a plethora of questions.

So far, I have copied some files from a little mp3 player that
our daughter gave us to my 2006 Mandriva box and was glad to
find 'amarok' (which I've seen several pluggers mention favorably)
on my system and delighted to discover that it plays the 20-some
files I downloaded just fine.  Good start.

Some time ago, I had also downloaded but never before tried to
play one .wma file and one .wav file.  Now I find that amarok
plays the .wma file fine, but not the .wav file.

So, what is the difference between these various formats
and how can I convert the .wav file to an .mp3?