generating man pages

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Wed Nov 28 22:03:23 MST 2007

From: Technomage-hawke <technomage.hawke at gmail.com>
> does anyone on the list here happen to know what tool or tools are used to
> generate man pages from sources (even to creating them from scratch if need

> be)?

man pages are text documents written using the groff markup language.  This
is mostly due to Hysterical Raisins; roff was useful back in the day and
they've continued the tradition.  I know that LyX can export to something
like a man page format, and Jade includes docbook2man.  It's possible to
write man pages by hand as well, though this is tedious.