Broadband / DSL recommendations?

Eddie Hillenbrand edalytical at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 15:38:03 MST 2007

On Nov 28, 2007, at 10:15 AM, Micah DesJardins wrote:

> Anyone have any experience with
> Speakeasy?

Yes.  They were really great once upon a time.  I really like that
they try to keep their customers informed about network outages, etc.
However, after a good run with them I had to move to a location that
did not have DSL. So I used Cox for about a year, but that's another
story.  Since I was on contract with Speakesay moving would cause me
to incur their cancelation fee.  I told the customer service rep that
I liked the service and would use it in the future when I moved
again.  This was in hopes that the cancelation fee could be waved on
good faith (a long shot but it never hurts to try).  The rep told me
that the fee could not be waved, but when I returned as a customer the
fee would be applied to a service contract. Sweet, what a deal.  He
then assured me that policies such as this are what makes Speakeasy so
great and set them apart from the competition.   At the time I
couldn't agree more.  It wasn't until I signed up again and had
another rep explain that after I paid the setup fee the credit would
be applied to future bills for about 6 months.  I was really pleased
until I got an account statement from my bank, Speakeasy had billed
the account for the month in addition to a setup fee.  To make a long
story short after several phone calls and emails Speakeasy had no
record of my previous service or an agreement to credit my account.
They continued to bill my account for months, while I occasionally
called and sent emails.  After some time they finally agreed to credit
me part of the cancelation fee.  Needless to say I canceled my
contract when I could and switched to Qwest.  As with Cox, Qwest is a
whole other story.

I've been lurking on this list for quiet some time.   AFAIK this is my
first post.  Hi everyone.

--Eddie