Installing Oracle XE on a 64bit system - Free Beer to the first person who correctly solves my problem!

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Mon Nov 19 15:16:06 MST 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 15:03 -0700, Bryan O'Neal wrote:
> Well, no go.
> 1) I can not seem to get a VNC session active.
> 2) I uninstalled and reinstalled and still no go.
> 3) Firefox will not launch on the remote machine today.  Konqueror will
> still launch but fierfox will not
>
> Here are the most basic things I tried.
>
> -----------VNC--
> Login via SSH
> Su -
> [root at my.godaddyserver.comloopadmin]# yum install vnc
> Setting up Install Process
> Setting up repositories
> turbopanel-base           100% |=========================|  951 B
> 00:00
> update                    100% |=========================|  951 B
> 00:00
> base                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB
> 00:00
> turbopanel-centos4        100% |=========================|  951 B
> 00:00
> addons                    100% |=========================|  951 B
> 00:00
> extras                    100% |=========================| 1.1 kB
> 00:00
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> Parsing package install arguments
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
> ---> Downloading header for vnc to pack into transaction set.
> vnc-4.0-11.el4.i386.rpm   100% |=========================| 8.3 kB
> 00:00
> ---> Package vnc.i386 0:4.0-11.el4 set to be updated
> --> Running transaction check
>
> Dependencies Resolved

> ====
>  Package                 Arch       Version          Repository
> Size
> ====
> Installing:
>  vnc                     i386       4.0-11.el4       base
> 151 k
>
> Transaction Summary
> ====
> Install      1 Package(s)
> Update       0 Package(s)
> Remove       0 Package(s)
> Total download size: 151 k
> Is this ok [y/N]: y
> Downloading Packages:
> (1/1): vnc-4.0-11.el4.i38 100% |=========================| 151 kB
> 00:00
> Running Transaction Test
> Finished Transaction Test
> Transaction Test Succeeded
> Running Transaction
>   Installing: vnc                          #########################
> [1/1]
> Installed: vnc.i386 0:4.0-11.el4
> Complete!
>
> [root at my.godaddyserver.comloopadmin]# exit
>
> [loopadmin at my.godaddyserver.com~]$ vncserver
>
> You will require a password to access your desktops.
>
> Password:
> Verify:

> [...]
----
1 - you really should use nx instead, easier, faster, better, encrypted

    Since I know this is a CentOS system...

    yum install nx freenx

    download client software from www.nomachine.org

2 - You have to set a vnc password - as user....

    $ vncpasswd

    then as root...

    service vncserver restart

    Note: that in your startup, it says :3 and you will have to account
    for that in your connection

    You probably need to cat contents of...

    /etc/sysconfig/vncserver

    ~/.vnc/xstartup