Installing Oracle XE on a 64bit system - Free Beer to the first person who correctly solves my problem!

Bryan O'Neal BONeal at cornerstonehome.com
Mon Nov 19 15:03:52 MST 2007

Well, no go.
1) I can not seem to get a VNC session active.
2) I uninstalled and reinstalled and still no go.
3) Firefox will not launch on the remote machine today.  Konqueror will
still launch but fierfox will not

Here are the most basic things I tried.

-----------VNC--
Login via SSH
Su -
[root at my.godaddyserver.comloopadmin]# yum install vnc
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
turbopanel-base           100% |=========================|  951 B
00:00
update                    100% |=========================|  951 B
00:00
base                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB
00:00
turbopanel-centos4        100% |=========================|  951 B
00:00
addons                    100% |=========================|  951 B
00:00
extras                    100% |=========================| 1.1 kB
00:00
Parsing package install arguments
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Downloading header for vnc to pack into transaction set.
vnc-4.0-11.el4.i386.rpm   100% |=========================| 8.3 kB
00:00
---> Package vnc.i386 0:4.0-11.el4 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check

Dependencies Resolved

====
 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository
Size
====
Installing:
 vnc                     i386       4.0-11.el4       base
151 k

Transaction Summary
====
Install      1 Package(s)
Update       0 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)
Total download size: 151 k
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
(1/1): vnc-4.0-11.el4.i38 100% |=========================| 151 kB
00:00
Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
  Installing: vnc                          #########################
[1/1]
Installed: vnc.i386 0:4.0-11.el4
Complete!

[root at my.godaddyserver.comloopadmin]# exit

[loopadmin at my.godaddyserver.com~]$ vncserver

You will require a password to access your desktops.

Password:
Verify:

New 'my.godaddyserver.com.ip.secureserver.net:2 (loopadmin)' desktop is
my.godaddyserver.com.ip.secureserver.net:2

Creating default startup script /home/loopadmin/.vnc/xstartup
Starting applications specified in /home/loopadmin/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is
/home/loopadmin/.vnc/my.godaddyserver.com.ip.secureserver.net:2.log

[loopadmin at my.godaddyserver.com~]$ gedit .vnc/xstartup
looking for type: got text/plain
[loopadmin at my.godaddyserver.com~]$ su -
Password:
[root at my.godaddyserver.com~]# service vncserver stop
Shutting down VNC server:                                  [  OK  ]
[root at my.godaddyserver.com~]# exit

[loopadmin at my.godaddyserver.com~]$ vncserver

New 'my.godaddyserver.com.ip.secureserver.net:3 (loopadmin)' desktop is
my.godaddyserver.com.ip.secureserver.net:3

Starting applications specified in /home/loopadmin/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is
/home/loopadmin/.vnc/my.godaddyserver.com.ip.secureserver.net:3.log

------------in another window on local box-------------
[boneal at fedora ~]$ vncviewer my.godaddyserver.com

VNC Viewer Free Edition 4.1.2 for X - built Jan  8 2007 10:03:41
Copyright (C) 2002-2005 RealVNC Ltd.
See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.

Mon Nov 19 14:52:21 2007
 main:        unable to connect to host: Connection refused (111)

-----------------------------Oracle-----------------

[boneal at fedora ~]$ ssh -X -C loopadmin at my.godaddyserver.com
The authenticity of host 'my.godaddyserver.com (my.godaddyserver.com)'
can't be established.
loopadmin at my.godaddyserver.com's password:
Last login: Sat Nov 17 22:00:21 2007 from ip70-190-73-209.ph.ph.cox.net
[loopadmin at my.godaddyserver.com~]$ rpm -qa | grep -i oracle
oracle-xe-univ-10.2.0.1-1.0
[loopadmin at my.godaddyserver.com~]$ rpm -e oracle-xe-univ-10.2.0.1-1.0

error: can't create transaction lock on /var/lock/rpm/transaction
[loopadmin at my.godaddyserver.com~]$ su -
Password:
[root at my.godaddyserver.com~]# service oracle shutdown
oracle: unrecognized service
[root at my.godaddyserver.com~]# service oracle-xe shutdown
Usage: /etc/init.d/oracle-xe
{start|stop|restart|force-reload|configure|status|enable|disable}
[root at my.godaddyserver.com~]# service oracle-xe stop
Shutting down Oracle Database 10g Express Edition Instance.
Stopping Oracle Net Listener.

[root at my.godaddyserver.com~]# rpm -e oracle-xe-univ-10.2.0.1-1.0
[root at my.godaddyserver.com~]# rm -rf /usr/lib/oracle/
[root at my.godaddyserver.com~]# rm -rf
/var/lib/menu/kde/Applications/OracleXE
[root at my.godaddyserver.com~]# rm -rf /etc/rc.d/init.d/oracle-xe
[root at my.godaddyserver.com~]# rm -rf /etc/rc.d/init.d/oracle-xe.rpmorig
[root at my.godaddyserver.com~]# rm -rf /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K05oracle-xe
[root at my.godaddyserver.com~]# rm -rf /etc/rc.d/rc1.d/K05oracle-xe
[root at my.godaddyserver.com~]# rm -rf /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S80oracle-xe
[root at my.godaddyserver.com~]# rm -rf /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S80oracle-xe
[root at my.godaddyserver.com~]# rm -rf /etc/rc.d/rc4.d/S80oracle-xe
[root at my.godaddyserver.com~]# rm -rf /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S80oracle-xe
[root at my.godaddyserver.com~]# rm -rf /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K05oracle-xe
[root at my.godaddyserver.com~]# rm -rf /etc/sysconfig/oracle-xe
[root at my.godaddyserver.com~]# rm -rf /etc/xdg/menus/oraclexe.menu
[root at my.godaddyserver.com~]# rm -rf /usr/share/applications/oraclexe*
[root at my.godaddyserver.com~]# rm -rf /usr/share/a2ps/sheets/oracle.ssh
[root at my.godaddyserver.com~]# rm -rf
/usr/share/vim/vim70/syntax/sqloracle.vim
[root at my.godaddyserver.com~]# cd /home/loopadmin/
[root at my.godaddyserver.comloopadmin]# rpm -ivh
oracle-xe-univ-10.2.0.1-1.0.i386.rpm
Preparing...                ###########################################
[100%]
   1:oracle-xe-univ         ###########################################
[100%]
Executing Post-install steps...

/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.40208: line 37: bc: command not found
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.40208: line 38: bc: command not found
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.40208: line 39: bc: command not found
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.40208: line 40: bc: command not found
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.40208: line 41: bc: command not found
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.40208: line 42: bc: command not found
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.40208: line 43: bc: command not found
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.40208: line 44: bc: command not found
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.40208: line 45: test: !=: unary operator expected
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.40208: line 50: bc: command not found
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.40208: line 51: test: !=: unary operator expected
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.40208: line 56: bc: command not found
You must run '/etc/init.d/oracle-xe configure' as the root user to
configure the database.

[root at my.godaddyserver.comloopadmin]# /etc/init.d/oracle-xe configure

Oracle Database 10g Express Edition Configuration
This will configure on-boot properties of Oracle Database 10g Express
Edition.  The following questions will determine whether the database
should
be starting upon system boot, the ports it will use, and the passwords
that
will be used for database accounts.  Press <Enter> to accept the
defaults.
Ctrl-C will abort.

Specify the HTTP port that will be used for Oracle Application Express
[8080]:9090

Specify a port that will be used for the database listener [1521]:

Specify a password to be used for database accounts.  Note that the same
password will be used for SYS and SYSTEM.  Oracle recommends the use of

different passwords for each database account.  This can be done after
initial configuration:
 Confirm the password:

Do you want Oracle Database 10g Express Edition to be started on boot

Starting Oracle Net Listener...Done
Configuring Database...Done
Starting Oracle Database 10g Express Edition Instance...Done
Installation Completed Successfully.
To access the Database Home Page go to "http://127.0.0.1:9090/apex"
[root at my.godaddyserver.comloopadmin]#