tomcat

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Mon Nov 19 12:02:40 MST 2007

I'm looking at a very interesting CMS/Web Collaboration system called
Alfresco

www.alfresco.com

That is entirely java driven and runs on Apache tomcat - of which I
understand nothing or next to nothing (I seemingly can get Sun JDK/JRE
packages installed but that's my knowledge of java).

Anyway, with the exception of my primary infrastructure server, I am
fairly lightweight and my anticipation is that tomcat/java/alfresco and
some users is not going to be a small footprint and I'm thinking I'm
gonna need a system with at least 2G of RAM, maybe more.

Anyone have a guess or rule of thumb that they would use to approximate
their needs for a server running tomcat? This would be actively used by
perhaps 3 or 4 people doing document input/conversion and perhaps 5-10
people retrieving html/pdf files from the resultant documents.

I'm thinking that something along the lines of a 1U rack mount with dual
Xeon's, 2 Gigabytes of RAM and 3 or 4 hard drives would probably cost in
the neighborhood of $3K  -  am I thinking too lightly?

Craig