Walmart PC's are gone

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Nov 15 17:24:43 MST 2007

After a long battle with technology, Darrin Chandler wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 03:11:00PM -0800, Ted Gould wrote:
> > Isn't this the market the Nokia 770, 800 and 810 are trying to target?
> "Trying to target" is an apt description. ;-)
> I believe a usable keyboard is critical, for varying definitions of
> usable. There's a reason why text messages look like "ur px r cool. snd
> more. kthxbai" but that's not going to fly for business correspondance,
> etc. At least not yet.

Give it 20 years, and we'll see how it all shakes out.  Formal writing has
fallen out of favor in many ways.  I heard of an 18-year-old incoming college
student saying "E-mail is for old people!" recently.  (Some) people in
college use SMS-speak on class papers.  icanhascheezburger.com gets tons of
traffic.  ("Billy Shakespeare has come not to bury proper English, but to PWN
J00"?)  Language evolves, what can you do?

--
   If you go hit yourself with a plank, it would make a freely available
   Unix-like operating system to everyone.