update to gutsy gibbon?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Thu Nov 15 13:02:32 MST 2007

Am 15. Nov, 2007 schwätzte betty so:

moin moin,

> now that i have all the updates on feisty fawn, and everything is
> running nicely...
> what would be the pros and cons of updating to gutsy gibbon?
> that is, why change what is not broken?

While I generally recommend doing upgrades with debian and Ubuntu once
they're available I will admit I'm not too happy with gutsy.

The X configuration does some new fancy things, but doesn't do them
well in my experience. If you're running a single monitor you might be
fine. You might also find that the config tool doesn't support as high
a resolution as you'd like. Luckily, on a single monitor setup you can
still use 'X -configure'.

I've also had a couple problems with OpenOffice.org. That might've been
due to a particular document, but it still resulted in OO.o not running at
all.

Lots of good things too, but some problems that need to be solved.

Feisty's still suported, so I suggest waiting 6 months and asking about
that release.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Wer bereit ist, grundlegende Freiheiten aufzugeben, um sich
#  kurzfristige Sicherheit zu verschaffen, der hat weder Freiheit
#  noch Sicherheit verdient.  --  Benjamin Franklin  (1706 - 1790)