yum versus apt

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Nov 11 19:49:00 MST 2007

On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 16:43 -0700, Charles Jones wrote:
> JT Moree wrote:

> > > ----
> > > yum install yum-utils
> > > man yumdownloader
> > >

> > Thank you,  I will make use of this.
> >

> > > yeah well, I also use KDE and emacs so it's apparent that I am doomed to
> > > a torturous afterlife.
> > >
> > > what I can say that in the 10 years I've been using various redhat rpm
> > > systems, I've never had to bail a system because the package db was
> > > blown...perhaps further proof of ignorance is bliss.
> > >

> > I have had rpm databases go screwy and it's no fun.  Though I'm not sure
> > where you are going with this point.
> >

> I've had rpm db problems (most caused by disk issues) a few times,
> luckily all were solved by "rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db.*; rpm
> --rebuilddb"
----
That would fall under the heading of routine maintenance...I suppose
it's all how you want to view it. If you have ever maintained an SQL db,
a berkeley db, access db, etc. you learn to roll with these types of
things.

A problem is when the db is so damaged that you have to do 'rpm
--initdb' which I have never had to do.

Craig