sad day on PLUG

Technomage-hawke technomage.hawke at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 16:26:23 MST 2007

here's my comment,
something in kernel 2.6.22 and up is severely b0rked.

I am starting to see computer freeze-up and hard locks and it all starts with
I/O errors in the logs, followed by apps starting to take forever (> 30
seconds to 2 hours +) to startup, finally followed by inevitable system
lockups requiring a hards reset.

I rolled back to feisty_fawn on my primary server and all is well behaved
again.

3 things I have found are part of the problem:
the new "fair scheduler
I/O drivers
memory management

all these appear at fault.

I hate to say this, but the Linux kernel tree has become a cathedral in the
midst of the bazaar (there are whole revisions and new subsystems available,
but no one is adding them to the kernel tree and Linus and his "team" are
being unresponsive).

its a sad state of affairs when even the crappy hardware support in windows
vista does a better job of supporting hardware than linux :(

Something has to be done here guys and I am not just whistling dixie.

perhaps a new microkernel with pluggable API's will work better?