sad day on PLUG

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Nov 9 18:29:08 MST 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 16:24 -0700, Derek Neighbors wrote:
> On 11/9/07, Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com> wrote:
> > When Fedora 8 gets released and not a single person comments...
>
> Is it really sad?  I think its fabulous.  Why?  Because we are finally
> at a point that GNU/Linux adoption is high enough and distribution
> feature sets are complete enough that a new distribution release is
> NOT interesting news.
>
> Additionally, the distribution wars of old are largely over.  There
> are much better things that are taking the attention of GNU/Linux
> people.  We should rejoice that a new release of one of a dozen
> popular distributions is NOT newsworthy.  :)
>
> The only thing that could be considered sad is that what equates to a
> Service Pack (OS X Leopard) is marketed as the second coming, while
> the GNU/Linux machine can barely get people to understand how great
> the freedoms it affords are.
----
and I suppose another way of saying the same thing is that that every
new release by each distribution is and always will be a news worthy
events because they are accomplished as the result of community efforts.

I would bet that with each new release of the more popular
distributions, that the bandwidth usage swells in celebration of the
various downloads (either by bittorrent or by ftp/http/rsync etc.)

Thus, I don't want to diminish the efforts, the costs of storage,
bandwidth, bug tracking, etc. and all that goes into a new release and
sort of wonder if rejoicing that a new release is not news worthy isn't
sort of like being Jehovah Witness and not celebrating birthdays.

BTW...nice swipe at the other BSD, which of course has to be marketed to
excess because as you know, corporate profits depend upon it.

Craig