empty emails....

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Fri Nov 9 11:25:25 MST 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 11:20 -0700, Dan Lund wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2007 11:11 AM, Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com> wrote:
> > ----
> > doesn't make much sense
> >
> > if it's image only spam, and spamassassin scores it as spam, it still
> > doesn't remove the image.
>
> You can configure it to "defang" spam.  Back when I ran spamassassin
> on a corporate level many years ago, I did this to keep our users from
> being infected by viruses through images until a fix was brought
> around by our crew to patch the issue in Windows.
>
> I haven't messed with spamassassin in years, though.
----
I don't see anyone using spamassassin to alter e-mails directly (at
least other than adding headers/scoring) the past 5 years or so.

there are tools (mime-defang, MailScanner, amavisd-new and probably
others) that will alter the body sections including 'defang' but to have
an image only e-mail and some system that removes the image but yet
still delivers the e-mail seems to be seriously fundamentally flawed and
I don't think I would accept the premise that the procedure is in any
way acceptable.

Craig