OT - The One Laptop Per Child Program

Tuna tuna at supertunaman.com
Wed Nov 7 22:25:46 MST 2007

Joseph Sinclair wrote:
> The XO uses an O/S based on a Linux kernel (stripped-down and heavily modified Fedora, I think), but with a completely different UI and functional design (don't look for programs/command line/etc..., they're hard to reach or completely missing).  It's VERY different from a normal PC, but it seems to work well for kids.
> The machine itself is really small, and the keys are likewise small (I had to use fingernails to press keys because my fingers are too big).  It's got a pretty cool design, though, and I hope they get a lot of these in kids hands, because I believe that putting these in the hands of kids in large numbers will spur those kids to come up with many completely new and interesting ways to use computers and connect people.
>
> ==Joseph++

Yup. It's a heavily modified Fedora. It's UI is something they developed
called Sugar. It has a nice little embedded Firefox as well as Abiword,
but you wouldn't recognize them because they too are heavily modified
and kind of built into Sugar.

I think they even put in a heavily modified GCompris. It might be
GCompris, I don't know..