Office Wiki recommendations

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Thu May 31 19:34:05 MST 2007

Bryan O'Neal wrote:
> We are in the process of revising our company handbook.  This size,
> complexity, and need for it to be constantly reviewed and updated has
> lead me to believe a wiki is the way to go.  As such I am looking for
> peoples personal wiki preferences.  I need something that will allow
> multiply permission sets so department A has these permissions to
> department A’s pages and another set of permissions for department B’s
> pages.  We need it to be easy to review, request updates, and update.  I
> have windows and Linux boxes available, but as you may guess I would
> prefer Linux (and prefer not to spend any money ;).  Any suggestions?

My comments and from others can be found in this recent thread of the
same flavor:

http://lists.plug.phoenix.az.us/lurker/thread/20070110.192716.2febd0ed.en.html#20070110.192716.2febd0ed

TWiki is the one I have the most experience with.  It has permissions
capabilities that you probably could map to what you describe.

One important thing I have found with wikis:  All the wiki engines I
have looked at are designed to display your information online.  "Well,
duh" may be your first reaction but that means if you have people who
like to print everything to paper or want to print everything to paper,
it will not come out as polished as a document prepared in a word
processor.  I do not count that as a fault of wikis, it is just an
observation based on experience.  Some people seem to want to print a
wiki topic and expect logical page breaks and other things that you just
don't get when printing from a web browser.

Alan