might buy a new wifi card for laptop PC (pcmcia)

Mike Schwartz mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com
Wed May 30 19:03:41 MST 2007

On 5/30/07, Dennis Kibbe <dennisk at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Order this card from Newegg
>
> ASUS WL-107G IEEE802.11g Wireless Cardbus Adapter
>
> It will work out of the box with an Ubuntu distro and with Fedora/Red
> Hat/Centos witha simple driver install.
>
> Make sure your laptop is, in fact PCMCIA (PC Card) and the newer, smaller
> express card format.
>
> Current price is under $30USD.
>
> Or if your lappy has an e-ztoget to miniPCI slot you can replace the
> current (Broadcom?) card with an Intel 2200 from eBay for about the same
> price.
>
> Did you try the broadcom-firmware-cutter application already?  You can
> install it with Synaptic.
>
> Dennisk

Thank you for that kind reply.
That [internet] price seems pretty reasonable - - (e.g., cheaper than
say,  the local neighborhood store I went to ("Ultimate Electronics")).
Also, if it is supporting a hardware manufacturer that releases enough
specs (or, 'FOSS' code) such that the firmware and drivers do not
have to play in to the hands of the proprietary 'warez "proprietors",
then, "great!"
    There were several issues with the Broadcom card:  for one, the
fact that [I think...] the formware involves some binary blob;  for another
thing, the old driver required using NDIS wrapper.  Both of the above
things were (supposedly) sorta "taken care of" by Red Seven before
they sold me the card - (as part of a package, that also included the
used ThinkPad T22 laptop PC).
    However, that was not all.  I also found that, even besides the above,
it is sometimes very iffy connecting to a WAP.  (Essid).  Once
it establishes a connection, it seems to work fine, for an hour or more;
(I usually run with the adapter/charger plugged in to an A/C outlet
  [typically "via" a surge suppressor], so it's a "don't-care" how much
  "transmit power" is being used up...  but according to some
  of the advice here on the  "PLUG-discuss" mailing list [see other
  threads that mention the BroadCom 4318 chipset], the design
  of some of the driver software, or firmware, or something, was
  apparently trying to suppress the  "transmit power" (intentionally)
  because of some concern about [battery] power consumption.  hmm...)
Questions:
Do you "happen" to know whether this card, available from NewEgg,
  would be any different in regard to the above?
  [issues of "transmit power", reliability of being able to connect
   to a nearby WAP (e.g. in a library, airport, or roadside park)]?
Also, would I need to upgrade to an Ubuntu release
  "more recent" than 6.06, in order to use this card?
Clarifications:
> Make sure your laptop is, in fact
> PCMCIA (PC Card) and the newer, smaller express card format.

I think I do not understand that [well enough]...

> Make sure your laptop is, in fact PCMCIA (PC Card)

I just know that the card that it came with
(is now in my hand, and)   says, quote,
   "LINKSYS a division of Cisco Systems, Inc.,
    Wireless-G
    Notebook Adapter"
and [quote again:]
  "Model No. WPC54G ver. 3"
It also has a serial number and a MAC address, but there
is probably no point including those in this message.
("outside the scope of this post")
(right?)

> and the newer, smaller express card format.

I do not know what that means.
did someone maybe leave out the word "not"?
(maybe you meant "and not the newer [...] format"?)

> Or if your lappy has an e-ztoget to miniPCI slot [...]

um, I don't even know what that means.
The PC is an IBM ThinkPad T22, built circa 2001.
(I am not familiar w/some of the terminology...)

But I did look up
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_PCI
and
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExpressCard
and I now think that, this PC, which was built in 2001,
is probably too old to have those kinds of newer slots.
(does that mean I need some different advice?,
  instead of the idea to buy that card from NewEgg?)
and/or, Do I now need to go read
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express
?
Any advice (past & future) appreciated,