COX Communications Sucks (Was: moving e-mail)

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Wed May 30 18:32:12 MST 2007

Let me disagree a bit by saying that I don't accept that current
telecommunications, and therefore Internet access, is provided under
market rules.

The last mile of connection to the vast majority of homes in the US was
installed when the telephone company was a monopoly.  (The Phoenix area
may be an exception to that with all the growth we have had.)  So each
house has one connection (multiple lines are part of the same one
connection) to the telephone network.  In August 2005 the FCC ruled that
DSL is an "information service" instead of a "telecommunications
service" with the effect that the incumbent telephone companies can
charge whatever they want to competing DSL resellers for access to that
connection[1].

So, even though my home DSL is provided by Covad, it really is owned by
QWest.  And even though my ISP is Earthlink and I could chose many other
ISPs, I cannot find pricing of the ISP combined with the DSL connection
that meets or beats QWest's ISP and DSL pricing.  QWest controls the
price that any competitor must charge by controlling the price the
competitor must pay to get through that connection.

So we are left with, really, only two possible inexpensive providers in
this area: QWest or Cable.  And cable is a municipal government granted
monopoly.  That is not a free market at all.

Now, for a change of pace, a completely hypothetical question:

According to Yahoo Finance the market capitalization of QWest is $18.99
billion[2].  And if I may be so off-the-wall to make such an
apples-to-oranges comparison, Bill Gate's net worth is reported to be
$27.93 billion[3].

Using this completely bogus comparison of financial capability, I ask
these questions:

If Bill wanted to spend a significant portion of his riches to build a
second telephone network in the Phoenix area, laying his own fiber and
copper connections to every house along side the current wiring, would
he be able to do so?

He appears to have enough money since he has more value than QWest and
would only be serving the Phoenix area and not in 14 US states like
QWest does[4].  If he would not be able to do so then the barrier to
entry is the result of something other than the operation of a free
market.  In a completely free market the only cost to entry is cost of
providing the good or service.

I don't think anyone would be able to successfully install a completely
separate competing connection infrastructure at any price because
non-market forces in the form of government regulation would prevent it.

I agree that the free market is the best way to find the most efficient
method of producing goods and services, by far.  However, the current
telecommunications market is NOT a free market and does not operate by
free market rules.  When telecommunications executives or politicians
speak of maintaining the status quo or increasing incumbent control as
"letting the free market solve the problem" they are being disingenuous,
in my opinion.

Alan

[1]http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20050805/1029253.shtml
[2]http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=Q