COX Communications Sucks (Was: moving e-mail)

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Wed May 30 17:02:29 MST 2007

On 5/30/07, Bryan O'Neal <BONeal at cornerstonehome.com> wrote:

> [...]
> supply/demand intersection is reached with a greater demand and supply.  The
> longer this goes on with excess demand (thus a larger initial price and no
> steep price point steps) then the lower the final price will be. In other
> words the first person in the filed has a high barrier to entry, and unless
> there is a payback they will not enter.  The larger the payback and the
> greater the demand the more people who are willing to cross that barrier for
> a piece of the action. As more people enter the field two things happen, the
> barriers become lower and the competition (supply) becomes greater, thus if
> you follow the demand curve the price drops.  There are endless examples,
> but since we are on the subject, let us look at cell phones.  The original
> cell phones weighed a few pounds and were the size of bricks, only a few
> carriers (AT&T) had them and fewer people (Motorola) created them.  If only
> a few very few people were interested in them we would not be as far as we
> are in cell phone tech.  However many people wanted them and were willing to
> pay outrageous prices for them, infrastructure was built to handle them and
> to build them.  People poured money into R&D to make them cheaper so their
> profit would be greater (Since competition was driving down the price) this
> allowed them to drop the price more and offer better product thus capturing
> more market at the same or better margins and creating greater profit, and
> others followed, thus the game cycles it's self through until you arrive at
> were we are now.  The reason people in Japan have more features is because
> they demand it and are willing to pay for it.  We (as an economic
> collective) are not.
>

> As far as regulation, there are two reasons for it.  To provide
> protectionist incentives to the first entries into market (thus ensuring
> they can pay back their initial investment) and two protect the public at
> large (need I remind people of thalidomide).  Then you have incentives, and
> no one can dispute the effects of projects like the Tennessee Valley Rive
> Authority.  However the political question becomes when you can eliminate
> the protectionist aspects of an industry.  For the most part the Telecom
> industry has had their protectionist incentives removed (save the most basic
> nature of the regional Telco structure) and what has not been removed is
> being phased out.  However, we are now in the midst of the imposition of
> additional protectionist schemes (Ted Stevens fight agents net neutrality).
> And yes, your argument was better then the typical winning I hear, but I
> hear so much of it I sometimes lump it all together when I should not.  But
> I stand firm that all things cost, there is no such thing a free lunch,
> there are unlimited desires and limited resources to fill those desires, and
> that a free market driven economy is the best way to distribute those

  the situation is quite complex and is wrought with much sketchy behavior
on the part of the major telecoms.  I will try and be as concise as possible
here.  The issue is the normalization (because the world 'regulation' is
unacceptable in some circles) of the 'communication product'.  I should be
gauranteed certain things as a consumer, and these things are implicitly
expected by the public.  Amongst them are, 1) fast delivery, 2) no peeking
or adulteration, 3) accessibility.  I believe these basic 'telecom rights'
will inevitably give people a lot more value in their service.  We have been
through these issues before with standard phone lines, but it seems we are
currently suffering from a bout of amnesia.  Republicans seem to be terrible
at managing telecom.

  Remember, when you hear the telecoms complain :
http://finance.google.com/finance?q=T
  they are not struggling.  Also of note is the infamous Ed Whitacre is set
to retire in June:
http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.aspx?Feed=ACBJ&Date=20070427&ID=6810011

  -jmz

.0000. communication.